[rescue] Re: Ultra 5

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Jan 13 18:40:49 CST 2002

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Eric Dittman wrote:

> I've seen the Ultra 5 workstations on eBay.  Is $315 a good price for
> one with a 270MHz processor and 256MB of RAM?  I'm thinking of an
> Ultra 5 as the Sun's web site says the Ultra 5 has PCI slots, and I
> have an 64-bit dual channel U2W SCSI card (Intraserver, with the
> Sun-enabled PROMs).  Are any of the PCI slots in an Ultra 5 64-bit?
> If not, it would work in a 32-bit PCI slot, but 64-bit would be
> better.

The Ultra 5 and Ultra 10 won't have 64-bit. Ultra 30 has one 64/66 slot if
I recall my specs correctly, so that's your lowest entry point probably.
Look at http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1319609114
... creator3d, 20" monitor, not too bad. Zero feedback though. You might
look around to see what you can get.
	The Ultra 60s are coming down too, and with them you get dual
processor capability (eek, when I searched for "ultra 60" I got an auction
for 60 Durex Ultra Comfort condoms). Although I guess they're not coming
down as fast as I thought.

The Intraserver/LSILogic cards are nice. Ultra160 SCSI is yummy. They've
cut the price down to $489 for their Sun-ready card, but it no longer has
dual internal connectors. They had triple internal connectors back when I
was paying $600-700 for them. The drives I posted on sales at sunhelp were
tested on one of those critters....

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows