[rescue] Trannies (was jobops in Austin and Dallas)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Jan 12 16:15:01 CST 2002

> Before anyone else says "oil-bath-cork clutch?  Euwwwww!" I'll just
mention
> that O-B-C clutches were standard fare on motorcycles for years and years,
> and actually work very well.

Totally.  I *think* you can still get them from places like JP Cycles and
Fog Hollow.  Very nice if you're building or restoring a vintage bike.

> Depends on what you're building.  Car?  Bike?  Personally, I've always
> wanted one of the Morgan three-wheelers with the JAP V-twin on the
> front.....

Car.  Small two-seat, tube frame, fiberglass body, powered by a economic
motorcycle engine.  I got the idea looking at Suzukis GSX-R/4 prototype.  I
originally though I'd stick a giant S&S V-twin on the front, but how would I
power a differential that far away (it's gotta be RWD).  Then I got the idea
that a goldwing or valkyrie engine+transmission would be ideal, since those
are shaft driven, and the engine is low profile (making mounting it under a
low hood and partially between the driver and passenger much easier), and
they have loads of torque.  I'll bet I could find one for seriously little
money, too.

This certainly isn't the final say in what will finally power the car - it
is on a rather lengthy build schedule and anything could happen.

Kurt