[rescue] Trannies (was jobops in Austin and Dallas)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Jan 12 14:06:22 CST 2002

In Message: 6 didst "Fogg, James" <JFogg at vicinity.com> declaim

[snip discussion of manual trannies converted to automatics]

> Actually, Hudson was the first to do this in 1948 and it worked great (a
> friend has two). It was electric and had a joystick on the steering column
> to operate in "manual" mode, or it would shift by making a "decision"
based
> on a combo of engine RPM and manifold vacuum (to sense engine load). Since
> Hudson used an oil bath cork clutch plate/disk it was very forgiving of a
> sudden engagement of the clutch by an electric servo. It could even start
> out from a stop on its own.

Before anyone else says "oil-bath-cork clutch?  Euwwwww!" I'll just mention
that O-B-C clutches were standard fare on motorcycles for years and years,
and actually work very well.

==============

And, in Message: 9 "Kurt Huhn" <kurt at k-huhn.com> mumbled ...

[snip more discussion of manual trannies converted to automatics]

> Dead simple - famous last words?  I figured mounting a V-Twin engine in a
> tube frame would be dead simple - until I started engineering the
driveline.
> I think I might use the engine from a Goldwing or a Valkyrie.  All the
> pieces are already there!

Depends on what you're building.  Car?  Bike?  Personally, I've always
wanted one of the Morgan three-wheelers with the JAP V-twin on the
front.....

-Shel