[rescue] Alphastuff

roosmcd at dds.nl roosmcd at dds.nl
Sat Jan 12 08:30:04 CST 2002

 First if anyone is interested in more PBXGB-CA's, aka ZLXp-E3, I can probably
get a load (40+) at a local computer store. They were asking about $30, but
would probably let them go cheaper. Location is Holland, shipping to US would
cost about $6.

 Second, I've been having some problems with my Alphaserver. It's an
Alphaserver 300 4/266 with 320Mb ram. Since the original 2Gb disk was a bit
small for Tru64, I sawed some bits of the case and now there's a 80Gb Maxtor
IDE drive inside :).

 The drive is correctly recognised by both the Tru64 installer and the SRM (it
show up in the devices list as a Maxtor drive). When I boot from cd-rom, I can
install the OS on the drive. I now have a complete install of Tru64 V5.0 on
this drive. However when I try to boot from this drive, I get an error "failed
to open dka100.1.0.6.0". The SRM firmware I'm running is C7.0-a MAR 18 1999.

 I'm guessing that the problem is that the SRM firmware can't boot from drives
larger than X Gb and that my drive is too large, can anyone confirm this? Of
course a solution would be to boot from a smaller scsi drive, but I would like
to use only 1 drive. Is there maybe some workaround by partitioning drives or a
firmware upgrade? I've been searching on the web, but couldn't find anything
relevant.

  regards,
    Michiel