[rescue] Zenith laptop question

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Fri Jan 11 18:30:33 CST 2002

Mike Katchabaw wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I may have the chance to rescue a Zenith Z-sport 420s laptop.  It's
> been unused for 5-6 years, and no one is giving it a second thought.
> >From someone's suggestion here, I got to thinking that at the very
> least, it would make a good portable serial console when I need one.
> A couple of questions though ...

The Zenith machines I hve seen (some laptops and some desktops) were
somewhat proprietary, but generally ahead of their time somewhat--the
kind of thing worth rescuing... The stuff is pretty sturdy (like made o'
metal).

As for OS, I've run Linux easily on a 386 with 4mb (no X) as a router. I
even had a 486 router with 16m that ran Oracle 7.2 as well. I have a 486
Omnibook that worked *great* as a serial terminal, booting only from a
floppy running DOS and kermit. Hey, almost anything is possible...

--
Steve Sandau
ssandau at bath.tmac.com