[rescue] Zenith laptop question

Mike Katchabaw katchab at csd.uwo.ca
Fri Jan 11 10:56:52 CST 2002

Hi!

I may have the chance to rescue a Zenith Z-sport 420s laptop.  It's
been unused for 5-6 years, and no one is giving it a second thought.
>From someone's suggestion here, I got to thinking that at the very
least, it would make a good portable serial console when I need one.
A couple of questions though ...

1) Just what exactly is this thing?  It appears to be a 486 (presumably
   20 Mhz?) with a mono display, integrated floppy, a hard drive of some
   sort, and parallel, serial, monitor, and PS/2 ports.  Sadly, BIOS
   configuration tells me very little.  Little information is availble
   from Zenith or google (though google let me know it likely has
   4 megs of memory).  Any ideas on the specifics, without having to
   crack it open?  It only has a minimal DOS configuration now, which
   doesn't tell me a whole lot either.

2) How much would such a thing be worth?  I may need to pony up some
   minimal cash of some kind, and I don't want to be burned.  (I'm over
   budget computer-wise right now too, which doesn't help!)

3) What are the chances of getting Linux up and running on this?  The
   Linux laptop page has nothing to say one way or the other on this
   model.  I figure I'd be scraping bottom of the barrel here, but
   I won't be running X or anything else too heavy on it.  Worst case
   scenario, it remains a DOS box.

Thanks for your help!

Mike.