[rescue] OT: jobops in austin and dallas

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jan 11 11:28:26 CST 2002

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 12:17:06PM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> Of course, that depends what your engine is.  If you have a 4 or a small
> hi-po 6, that would be fine.  However, for a V8 or larger, this wouldn't
> necessarily be true.  My truck redlines at 5k - and makes peak torque at
> about 3k.  Anything higher that 3k and you're making the truck work way to
> hard.  Normal RPM range for cruising around in this truck is about 1.5k to
> 2.5k.
>
> OTOH, the PT Cruiser redlines much higher - 6500 I think.  It's just
> starting to make power at about 3500, and is much happier cruising around at
> about 3k.

On my jetta, peak power (on the stock 1.8 8valve) is somewhere between 3k and
3.5k.  I haven't seen the official number, that is just what if feels like.
The redline is 7k rpm, I think, but I never go particularly close.  I usually
cruise at 2k.

> As always - the higher the revs, in any car, the faster it will wear out and
> break parts.

I have spend a huge amount of money on repairing my car these past 2 years.
But except for replaceing the clutch (which I knew was going to need to be done
sooner or later when I bought it), none of the stuff I've replaced would have
much to do with over revving the car, unless rack and pinions wear out faster
when put under higher RPMs.

> Skip Barber has an agreement with Lime Rock Park over in CT - This coming
> summer I'm going to head over there with the wife for a 2-day course.  He
> does this in association with Dodge - and has Neon ACRs, Viper ACRs, and
> Dakota Quad-cabs.  AFAIK, he's the only one that will teaches with pickup
> trucks (stock, not supertruck).

ACRs?

--
Joshua D. Boyd