[rescue] OT: jobops in austin and dallas

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Jan 11 10:57:10 CST 2002

> when you smell the burning oil is it from exhaust or the eng block?  if
> exhuast, be worried..if eng block..investigate... see if you can spot
> it?  is it _in_ the exhaust? if so..welll..umm.. yer fucked if it's mroe
> than normal :)

Oil in exhaust ain't always bad - I had a Jetta once that developed
buring-oil-in-exhaust, and I fixed by replacing the valve seals.  Not easy -
but cheap.  It's possible that it could also be the head gasket - if you do
that yourself, it's also cheap (but not exactly easy).

Of course, exhaust oil-burning-smell is usually indicative of worn rings and
cylinder walls.  While this sounds bad - it usually only takes about $1500
to rebuild a I-4 while adding performance parts.  Bore it to .30 over (or
.60 over if you can), have the head and block decked and matched, port the
intake and exhaust, and add a better cam.  Before you know it, you'll be
smoking way more expensive cars in an otherwise stock-looking jetta.  And,
your car is good for another couple-hundred-thousand miles.

If you rebuild the bottom end too, you might need to add a few hundred $ -
but you'll get all that much more reliability from it.

Kurt