[rescue] OT: jobops in austin and dallas

Derrick D. Daugherty derrick at blinky-lights.org
Thu Jan 10 23:15:58 CST 2002

It's rumored that around Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 12:11:05AM -0500
Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 10:37:07PM -0600, Derrick D. Daugherty wrote:
>
> > after several years of a standard i _still_ can't perfect the cluth-less
> > gear shifting.
>
> I got the hang of that in an old Sentra I used to drive.  Every now and then I
> do it without thinking about it in my Jetta.
>
> > > I think I'm developing an oil leak though.  Time to go back to the mechanic
> > > again.
> >
> > where is hte oil leak?  replacing a gasket can be _easy_ and _cheap_
>
> I don't know.  If I know what the problem is, I can compentently follow my
> service manual to fix it, but I'm no good a diagnosing stuff.  I'm not getting
> spots under it when it is parked, I just smell a whiff of burning oil sometimes
> when driving.  I suppose that could mean head gasket is leaking...

hmm..yeah..that can be evil.  pop the hood and take a peek.  it only
goes a few places...so ya can peek.   obviously can lead to evil..so
investigate.   i _never_ liked cars until i started thinking of them
like 'old computers'... once i took on the act of the whole "why would
it do this" thing..it became fun..just pretend it's it's a dirty
comp..and all is fun.

when you smell the burning oil is it from exhaust or the eng block?  if
exhuast, be worried..if eng block..investigate... see if you can spot
it?  is it _in_ the exhaust? if so..welll..umm.. yer fucked if it's mroe
than normal :)