[rescue] OT: jobops in austin and dallas

Derrick D. Daugherty derrick at blinky-lights.org
Thu Jan 10 13:52:05 CST 2002

It's rumored that around Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 10:13:25PM -0600
Amy <scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Derrick D. Daugherty wrote:
>
> > sorry for the spam....
> >
> > Austin:
> > I have two offers and can obviously only take one...tough tough decision
> > too :\
> > both are heavy in networking and sys admin work... one is about
> > 30 unix hosts..obsd/freebsd/linux/sun.  mostly sun, from u10's to an
> > e6.5k..san storage with an emc 8730 on the backend.  lotsa 420's and
> > netra 1400's.  already installed, it's a babysitting job.  permanent.
>
> i'd go for this one, it seems more reasonable. lets face it, none of us
> are getting younger. stability (even if its babysitting) is a nice thing.
> its good to take it easy and from what i understand you'd be comfortable
> in this one due to the people. plus that whole permanent thing is cool.

actually the other one would be more stable..the company's been around
for decades and is 90% owned by Nationwide Insurance.. NI just gave them
50mil to do a nationwide rollout of their app...it'd be my job to design
and deploy the network and all the systems.  fun fun fun.  BUT, the one
above is cool...i love all the people that i'd be working with, except
maybe one and that will be a condition of my returning. he will not work
there during my duration there.  the other plus is the cto agreed to
fund my startup...so e-gad it's a tough decision.  if i go with the
other one i may be able to get an ue15k...drooooool.  ugh, i'm captain
indecisive to start with...now this.

> i need bbq.

i'm going to hold you to that!  when do we wanna do the next outting?
it's getting warmer...  is senior hill back from across the pond yet?

^D