[rescue] rsync--argh!

Scott Newell rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 7 23:26:12 CST 2002

I know this is kinda far out there, but are there any rsync experts lurking
around?

I'd like to run rsync over ssh.  I've got pretty much the same setup on
both ends: same version of openbsd, ssh, and rsync.  I can ssh from the
remote machine to the local, and I can run the rsync command through ssh
(to verify rsync is in the path):
	ssh newell at cascode.dynodns.net -p 1022 rsync

It then prompts for my password, and I get the usage screen of the _remote_
rsync app.  So far, so good.  I've set the RSYNC_RSH environment var to
handle the ssh command line:
	 setenv RSYNC_RSH 'ssh -l newell -p 1022 cascode.dynodns.net'

Now this part must be partially working, 'cause when I try and do an rsync
(lots of verbosity, dry run mode):
	rsync -v -v  -n newell at cascode.dynodns.net:/home/newell/ ./

I get the ssh password prompt, then:
	cascode.dynodns.net: Command not found.
	rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
	rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(139)

I'm pretty sure the ssh login is ok, as it's showing up in /var/log/authlog
on the remote machine.  The rsync FAQ mentions that the 'Command not found'
error messages means the rsync was not found in the path on the remote
machine, but it's there, and it works from inside ssh!  (I've also tried
the --rsync-path option, but it didn't make any diff.)

thanks,
newell