[rescue] Re: Semi-OT: AlphaServer rescue question

Kris Kirby rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 6 23:44:43 CST 2002

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, D.A. Muran-de Assereto wrote:
> Not all of the ports collection works with Alpha. Occasionally, one of the
> 386 committers will commit a hostile patch to us Alphans. Had some success
> with X, gnome, and KDE in testing, but since they're servers, I don't use
> them much except for remote display echoing.
> Overall, quite satisfied with it.

I've a pair of Multias I've yet to fully resurrect, but I live in the same
town (20 min away) from steve at freebsd.org. He's been involved with -alpha
for a while; he's got a 500MHz workstation at the house he uses for ports
and such.

IIRC, most of the big work gets done on The Alpha Cluster. David O'Brien
bought a whole slew of ebay'd alphas and put them up together to aid in
the parallel building of FreeBSD on Alpha for testing.

-----