[rescue] RE: Sparc Classic Resurrection for Newbie

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 6 15:34:56 CST 2002

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> > I need to find out if I can use a SCSI CD-ROM drive that's installed in
> > a separate machine but connected to the Sparc SCSI bus as a way to
> > install the software.
>
> the Apple 300i is reported to work. More details are available, you
> guessed it via RTFM (sorry :) anyway I suggest you read the CD-ROM faq
> available through SunHelp.org or a google search.

Oops, I read that originally as wanting to hook the Mac's SCSI to the
Sun's SCSI. And hmmm, I think I have an Apple external cdrom drive in the
bedroom somewhere under the laundry piles.

> > I also have a question about the serial port on the Sparc.  Will I need
> > to use a null modem adapter or will a standard cable work?  As it stands
>
> A mac serial cable will usually work. You will need a null modem adaper or
> cable in line.

On the Classic he won't need the Mac/MiniDIN cable... it's got a Db25 A/B
port so as long as he doesn't need the second port, a regular DB25M will
be fine (with null modem of course).

--Rob
        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows