[rescue] Sparc Classic Resurrection for Newbie

Mike Nicewonger rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 6 14:58:00 CST 2002

> I discovered that I have 540 megs of hard drive to work with, if the
> drive is good, and two external 100 meg drives that should format just
> fine once I get a system going to work with.  However, a few things just
> haven't quite 'clicked' into full clarity yet.

That will be fine for a base install. Remember to set the SCSI ID on the
primary drive to 3 and the CD-ROM to 6

> I need to find out if I can use a SCSI CD-ROM drive that's installed in
> a separate machine but connected to the Sparc SCSI bus as a way to
> install the software.  I ask this, because I don't have anything for a
> SCSI drive other than my Macintosh Quadra's 2x SCSI CD-ROM drive (which
> should read the 512 size chunks, I think) and that's an internal device
> for that machine.  Neither of my external SCSI drives are in a case that
> appears moddable to take the drive.  If I can do that, and the drive
> will boot, I should be all set for that.

the Apple 300i is reported to work. More details are available, you guessed it
via RTFM (sorry :) anyway I suggest you read the CD-ROM faq available through
SunHelp.org or a google search.

> I also have a question about the serial port on the Sparc.  Will I need
> to use a null modem adapter or will a standard cable work?  As it stands
> now, I'll be messing around with a few adapters in order to get the
> machine talking with one of my PC's.

A mac serial cable will usually work. You will need a null modem adaper or
cable in line.

> And almost my last question to date, I'd like to know if there's a limit
> anyplace in the Sparc preventing it from using an 8G SCSI drive?  I got
> an old SCSI-2 -full height- drive, and if I can find a casing someplace
> that'll let me connect it to the Sparc, that'd make a much nicer
> solution.

No reason you cannor use an 8 GB drive. If you are partitioning correctly it
should JustWork[tm]

> And here it is, hopefully the last question I'll have before I get the
> Sparc install process rolling... Is there anyplace I can get a 100Mbit
> network adapter?  The built in RJ45 is only a 10Mbit, and I'd like to
> bring that up.  I did see a few S-Bus cards on eBay, but I don't know
> what ones will or won't work with the Sparc running BSD.  Being used to
> the sketchy predictability of Linux driver support, and not sure just
> what's been done with BSD, if anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate
> them.

there is driver support for the 100 Mbps Ether out there. Cannot remember what
worked better than others.

> Again, thanks for all the responses, and I hope I'm not coming across
> like a total moron.

Nah, your doin fine.

Mike N