[rescue] I just saw this from an old SGI page... it has me slightly worried since...

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 3 18:56:21 CST 2002

  The power thing is sheer paranoia.  As is the RFI issue.  You really
should have a UPS in general, though...

  About the A/C...you'll probably be fine as long as you have a large
space to dissipate the heat in.  They do put out a fair amount of
heat...but hey, if you want no power consumption and no heat output,
you'd have bought a shit-ass PeeCee, right?

       -Dave

On January 3, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> I have no UPS for this thing, and I have no AC

> One of my sources, who owns a home Onyx, says that the beast's appetite
> for electricity costs about $ 80-100 a month. He also notes that power
> requirements should include air conditioning; the system gets a bit sickly
> at temperatures above 80 degrees.
>
> It is technically illegal to run an Onyx at home (thus the source's
> anomynity) due to radio interference regulations. The source notes no such
> problems with his system, but of course your mileage may vary.
>
> Your Onyx will be horribly sensitive to power fluctuations, so you'll need
> a high-quality UPS for it to survive more than a few weeks. Don't even
> think of buying spare parts.
>
> Andrew

> There are, of course, thousands of people who claim to be sys admins who
> have the single "skill" of working it out from a gui tool. Ask these people
> to move 500 users accounts or 300 virtual hosts from one machine to another
> and they are as useful as chocolate firemen. -- Anonymous Coward on Slashdot
> 8/15/01
>
> UNIX and cigarettes, both addictive and both contain tar.

Dave McGuire