[rescue] I just saw this from an old SGI page... it has me slightly worried since...

Andrew Weiss rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 3 16:52:15 CST 2002

I have no UPS for this thing, and I have no AC

One of my sources, who owns a home Onyx, says that the beast's appetite
for electricity costs about $ 80-100 a month. He also notes that power
requirements should include air conditioning; the system gets a bit sickly
at temperatures above 80 degrees.

It is technically illegal to run an Onyx at home (thus the source's
anomynity) due to radio interference regulations. The source notes no such
problems with his system, but of course your mileage may vary.

Your Onyx will be horribly sensitive to power fluctuations, so you'll need
a high-quality UPS for it to survive more than a few weeks. Don't even
think of buying spare parts.

Andrew

There are, of course, thousands of people who claim to be sys admins who
have the single "skill" of working it out from a gui tool. Ask these people
to move 500 users accounts or 300 virtual hosts from one machine to another
and they are as useful as chocolate firemen. -- Anonymous Coward on Slashdot
8/15/01

UNIX and cigarettes, both addictive and both contain tar.