[rescue] happy new years and shit like that

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 2 15:55:30 CST 2002

> > I feel very strongly about that.  Time off is *time off* - not time off
> > except when [x] happens.  I have, at times, disabled the VPN connections
of
> > employees that *knew* couldn't take time off (workaholics).  I even told
an
> > employee once that "Dammit, if I give you a day off, I expect you not to
> > work!  Now take an *actual* day off."
>
> Hahahahaha.  I think I need a boss like that sometimes. 8-)  Altho,
there's
> been times when I've had to work early-AM hours to fix things, and I show
up
> on time the next day, and boss said "uh, go home".  He even gave one of
> our other guys the day off when he found out it was his wedding
anniversary -
> "What are you doing here?  GO HOME! " etc.

Sounds like yo've got a good boss, Bill.  They're hard to find.

The problem with being a good "people manager" though is that other members
of management tend to look down on you - as if you've dirtied yourself by
aligning yourself with your employees.  I speak from experience,
unfortunately.  I've been described by top brass as "difficult to manage"
because of the way I conduct myself - presumably by acting like a decent
human being....

Kurt