[rescue] happy new years and shit like that

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 2 14:55:52 CST 2002

> Boss said "please, take wednesday off. I'm sorry."

Boss is a jerk.  My favorite saying:
"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my
part"
Your boss failed to plan...

<rant>
When I give an employee the day off, I maintain *no* contact with that
employee regarding office/business issues.  If I can't fill in for an
employee, either by myself or by teaming other members of my department, I
need to rethink how I've fleshed out my organization.  I just shouldn't have
to revoke time off because something is broken or needs rebooted.  At the
minimum, procedures should be in place so that any arbitrary person with
systems knowledge should be able to perform routine operations - especially
rebooting.
</rant>

I feel very strongly about that.  Time off is *time off* - not time off
except when [x] happens.  I have, at times, disabled the VPN connections of
employees that *knew* couldn't take time off (workaholics).  I even told an
employee once that "Dammit, if I give you a day off, I expect you not to
work!  Now take an *actual* day off."

Kurt