[rescue] An interesting sound

Bill McDermith rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 2 14:10:03 CST 2002

We had a sun sparc 2 that had this same sound. Worked for
over six months with that strange noise without causing much
confusion other than more frequent backups... But, when
we had to shut the machine down to move it, it wouldn't
spin up post-move... I'd certainly back up more often, and
have a contingency plan for a dead drive... You never
know when the power may fail and/or the UPS croak...

I've had a couple of brand-new out-of-the-box drives that
froze up a couple of months after install with nary a peep --
which makes it hard to say "You ought to just replace that
bad drive with a new one." On the other hand, I'm still using
one of the others from the same purchase lot today (4 years
later, but it still causes a little concern...)

Good luck,
    Bill McDermith