[rescue] Ultra 30 and Maximum Drive Size

George Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 2 00:26:53 CST 2002

>   - if you have, say, your home directories in the same filesystem as
>     the mailspools, and someone fills up the filesystem with crap
>     or something on awry, mail will start bouncing

here's some more,

I even go so far as to put /var/mail on it's own slice when I build a
mailserver, imagine spam/mime trash packing your mailspool space and not
having any more space available for /var/log/messages or /var/log/authlog,
etc...

what if one of your filesystems develops a _SERIOUS_ problem?  If you have
your filesystem segmented, you may at least be able to get / mounted, and
maybe even /usr to get access to the tools you need to get the error fixed,
or at least get the data off the disk.

spreading filesystems like /home or /export onto other disks may be useful
when you have large disc acreage.  Besides, try to dump(8) or ufsdump(1M) a
super-size filesystem on limited size media(tape).

/temp might even deserve it's own whole disk on a very large multiuser system
with lots technical user activity.