[rescue] Ultra 30 and Maximum Drive Size

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 1 23:06:16 CST 2002

On January 1, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Nope.  From one of my machines (yes, I know, a large / is a bad idea;
> > please dont even start ..):
>
> Anyone mind explaining why?

  Multiple filesystems are usually viewed as being advantageous for
several reasons, some of which are:

  - on a network in which software/OS loads are centrally managed,
    one usually needn't repetitively back up big filesystems like
    /usr if they're all identical

  - grouping files together by sizes and/or access patterns allow
    optimizing filesystems like ffs to do their jobs more effectively

  - if you have everything in one filesystem, and you toast it, you've
    lost *everything* on the system

  - if you have, say, your home directories in the same filesystem as
    the mailspools, and someone fills up the filesystem with crap
    or something on awry, mail will start bouncing

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire