[rescue] Ultra 30 and Maximum Drive Size

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 1 13:01:11 CST 2002

The Sun Handbook only shows 9 gig drives as an option for the U30, not
18 gig, but I can't find the U30 listed as compatible for any 18 gig
drives in the handbook...

I would question the formatting of the drives, how are the partitions
laid out - is it trying to boot off a partition beyond 2 (or 9) gig..

Just a thought, sounds odd - be sure and let us know what the
answer/resolution is if/when you figure it out...

I've only tried 9 gig drives, not 18 gig in my U30...

Ken

On Tuesday, January 1, 2002, at 11:56 AM, Gary Nichols wrote:

> Interesting situation here.
>
> I removed the 4G drive (which works just fine) from my U30 (OB v.
> 3.27) and replaced it with a factory fresh IBM Ultrastar 18GB drive
> (/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0).  I formatted the drive, partitioned it, installed
> Solaris8 on it, life is good-- except for one thing. The U30 will not
> autoboot from the drive.
>
> I get the following message on powerup:
> Bad Magic number in disk label
> Can't open disk label package
> Boot device: /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 0,0:b File and args: -F cprboot
> Trap 3e
> ok
>
> I initially thought that there was a problem with the boot block/disk
> labeling/etc... but after going through normal fixit procedures with
> this it still happens.
>
> I'm thinking that it's Openboot's inability on the U30 to deal with
> drives greater than 9GB (hence the Trap 3e).  Am I nuts?
>
> Any insight greatly appreciated.
> Gary

Ken

n2vip at yahoo.com