[rescue] Ultra 30 and Maximum Drive Size

Gary Nichols rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 1 10:56:05 CST 2002

Interesting situation here.

I removed the 4G drive (which works just fine) from my U30 (OB v.
3.27) and replaced it with a factory fresh IBM Ultrastar 18GB drive
(/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0).  I formatted the drive, partitioned it, installed
Solaris8 on it, life is good-- except for one thing. The U30 will not
autoboot from the drive.

I get the following message on powerup:
Bad Magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package
Boot device: /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 0,0:b File and args: -F cprboot
Trap 3e
ok

I initially thought that there was a problem with the boot block/disk
labeling/etc... but after going through normal fixit procedures with
this it still happens.

I'm thinking that it's Openboot's inability on the U30 to deal with
drives greater than 9GB (hence the Trap 3e).  Am I nuts?

Any insight greatly appreciated.
Gary