[rescue] Computer trash

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Feb 27 10:01:22 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 06:12:07PM -0500, Steve Pacenka wrote:
> Europe seems ahead of the US in heading farther back in the industry
> chain by having an original manufacturer take some responsibility for
> what happens to their products after their useful life.

It's a good thing too, provided that the manufacturers get sufficient notice
that they can redesign their products to be recyclable.  New cars, for
example, are designed to be easily recyclable.  Trouble is, in a few years
time the EU wants those same rules to apply to vehicles made before the
regulations came into effect.  So a company like Landrover would become
responsible for the disposal of *really* ancient vehicles - they were built
to last, but were also built with nary a thought of recycling.  And we're
talking a large number of their vehicles thirty or forty years old which
are only now reaching the end of their working lives.  Landrover have to
just eat that cost, cos unlike with modern vehicles they can't either pass
the cost on to the current owner or redesign it to be cheaper to recycle.

So it ain't all sweetness and light.

       23.5 degrees of axial tilt is the reason for the season