[rescue] air-borne ass particles

Derrick D. Daugherty derrick at blinky-lights.org
Mon Feb 25 18:21:34 CST 2002

note: this will probably be my last post for a while.  I think it's time
I take my leave as well.  However, please keep me cc'd on the austin-bbq
if that still happens :)

It doesn't make sense to me why people on mailing lists get angry, and
use that emotion to fuel their words.  in my little reality adults
discuss things and don't insult one another.  I live in la-la land
though and I'm fortunate enough to be able to control my surroundings.

It's rumored that around Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 05:20:27PM -0600
Amy <scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net> wrote:
> On 25 Feb 2002, Dan Sikorski wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 12:37, Amy wrote:
> > > WOULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHY PEOPLE DON'T SAY ONE WORD TO ME OR BILL WHEN
> > > THEY ARE UPSET OVER SOMETHING AND THEN PULL GUILT-TRIP SHIT LIKE THIS?

I read the above as Amy requesting feedback about the situation.

> > Well, i usually don't respond to any emails written by you because it
> > seems that too often, things get blown out of proportion, and someone
> > gets thrown off the list.

I read this as Dan's opinion and his take on things.  Something he's
completely entitled too.  I do not see any insulting or
inflammatory/flame-bait remarks, only observances.

> > Granted, i don't know the whole story behind
> > these incidents, and i really don't care to, but i can think of a couple
> > of  examples of this and I've only been on the list for a little under
> > 10 months.

me either, it'd take up waaayy too many cycles to keep up with this
list fully.

> i can count the number of people that WE have bumped off the list on one
> hand. one, not four or five. all of them were fools who didn't listen when
> either i or bill (usually both of us) asked for them to conform to policy,
> drop a thread for their own good, or otherwise insulted or threatened both
> of us privately until we couldn't take it anymore.

I have no problem with either of you deciding who can play in the
sandbox and who has to sit in time-out.

> i'm sure that more than a few people (including you)are under the asinine
> assumption that i stand fully at the ready to kick you off the list if you
> so much as disagree with me. if you want to go about your lives being wrong, > far be it for me to stop you.

This is my observance:  this insulting retort is completely uncalled
for.  He was having a discussion, he was not attacking you, but now
you're on the offensive.  Saying he lacks the ability to have
intelligent thought and likening him to an ass doesn't seem to fit the
intended mood of the post.

> > they don't last long around here.  Please don't misinterpret me, I'm not
> > taking a stab at you or Bill or anyone else, I'm just calling it as i
> > see it.
>
> right. well, how you see it is completely wrong.

The guy's being as kind as could be and you're completely going off on
him.  I assume I'll be the target of love after this.  Which is
unfortunate, but for some reason I didn't think it right to just go off
on him.

> > On a related note, i don't intend to respond to any more
> > messages in this thread because i do enjoy this list, and I'd like to
> > stay here, and not make any enemies.
>
> well what a fucking coincidence, so am i. unfortunately i dont see many
> people with any sense coming forth to see my point of view. i can only
> assume its because you're not willing to stand behind the boards yourself
> and do the dirty work and see what kind of fucking thanks you get (rare
> if ever, usually just insults), as much as you just love posting here.

I thought you knew how much we all appreciate what you and bill do.
Hell, all the hardware, b/w, software, etc etc donations speak for it in
material ways.  The amount of good people get from these resources,
knowing some guy's ass was saved from help on one of these lists, must be
immeasurably fulfilling.  I admire the good that this little server has
shared back to the world.  If karma existed, the sunhelp/mrbill box
would approach a singularity of goodness and collapse in on itself and
then vanquish all Evil Doers in the world.

It's good to know there are other freaks and geeks out there but I can't
take the s/n right now.  Maybe in a later slice of life.

Hope ya don't hate me Amy, but I honestly think he was just trying to
honestly answer your email.   I think you proved his point for him.

I look forward to the continued friendship.

All my best to all of ya, yer a bunch of nuts,
^Derrick

--
remember that kitten "hang in there" poster?  the cat fell to its death