[rescue] list dictatorship (topic change)

Kyle Webb kylewebb at beckman.uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 26 13:38:14 CST 2002

At 04:44 PM 2/26/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 05:29:44PM -0600, Kyle Webb wrote:
> > At 01:35 PM 2/25/2002 -0600, you wrote:
> > >                                       If you want to call me a facist
> > >dictator for it, well, I'll go dig up my jackboots from the garage and
> > >have the staff car meet me out front.
> > Gee, I know some reenactors and might be able to come up with a uniform
> and
> > a kubelwagen. You'd have to settle for being SS British Free Corps
> > (Probably the most obscure unit in any army, let alone the German.:)
>
>Unfortunately they didn't have any of their own officers, just NCOs, so
>the uniform wouldn't be funky enough to suit the car.

Well, technically they had one. Lt. William Shearer, but he was a
schizophrenic who never even put on the uniform before being sent back to a
mental institution.

>I forget which SS regiment their officers came from.  Nordland?

Roepke, who was their first commander was from SS Division Wiking. If they
had gotten at least platoon strength (30) they would have become part of
Wiking. The closest they got was 27.
The next officer, Kuhlich, had been part of SS-"Das Reich" and had been
badly wounded so that he was no longer fit for front line duty.
They were later assigned to SS-"Nordland", were initialy under a Swedish
Obersturmfuhrer in a recon unit,but ended up as truck drivers mostly.

They were about as motley a crew as motley can be...

Kyle Webb