[rescue] I see da lite

Kenneth Dunn luser at xtra.co.nz
Tue Feb 26 04:15:50 CST 2002

I've been thinking about serial consoles today and how they could
possibly be useful in my chaotic computer setup. I hashed the idea
of using a Linux box with an old 8 port serial card as a terminal
server on an NZ Linux mailing list. Nothing useful so far.

As I've never used a terminal server outside of the MS world what
would I need to do to turn a a low end Pentium + Digiboard 8 port
serial card into a terminal server ?

Getting the card working with Linux is a piece of cake. Cabling I
can deal with. But what software to use ? Is there any source code
that provides an easy to use interface + terminal emulation for
up to 8 computers ?

There is plenty of reference via www.yahoo.com for the "Linux
Termianl Server Project" which all about booting Linux & X11 on
diskless client PCs.