[rescue] Maya Personal Edition/Mac available

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Feb 25 22:02:44 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 07:55:48PM -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> Basically the creation of a computer generated animation involves 2 steps:
>
> a) Modelling: This is where the gfx hardware is used (i.e. the RE2), where
> you get to design the objects in the scene and assign properties to them.
> I.e. materials, sources of light, motion, etc. The HW pretty much is used
> to give a quick preview using OpenGL so you can create the scene in a more
> or less interactive fashion.
>
> b) Rendering: Once the scene is defined, you can render the final image.
> This process is more CPU intensive, since it is usually physically based
> (i.e. modelling light rays and their interaction with the scene elements).
> For very complex scenes you might spend a few hours per frame in the
> rendering process...

That really should be more steps.  Modelling, animating, lighting, texturing,
shading, rendering, compositing.  Shading and texturing are kinda related, but
not entirely.

Of course, low end work will often skip to only 3 (or 4) stages: modelling;
animating; rendering (compositing optional).

--
Joshua D. Boyd