[rescue] Maya Personal Edition/Mac available

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Mon Feb 25 21:17:24 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 10:14:21PM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> >final rendering to file i'd be better off doing it on the Challenge which has
> >3x as many CPUs?
>
> Basically, yes.  I know that Maya's internal renderer would run better on the
> Challenge, and if you use an external program like BMRT, it especially would
> run better on the larger Challenge machine.  As to blender, I'm not sure if it
> supports threads, and I can find anything to say that it supports network
> rendering, so it might take some coercion to make it work better on the
> challenge.  But, if you have some patience to deal with massaging bugs
> (preferably by writing scripts of some sort to deal with them for you), then
> you will get far superior output from external renderers like BMRT.  This is
> the path that many professional studios take.

first of all, what is this BMRT of which you speak?  details man!

ok, so the best route then would to be to use the Onyx for the actual creation
of the animation and use the Challenge for the rendering.  ok, cool.  so now
the thing to do would be to get BMRT on the Challenge and just shoot everything
over to it for the final render.  nice.  now i need to get that setup.

-brian

--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)