[rescue] Maya Personal Edition/Mac available

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Mon Feb 25 20:18:53 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 09:11:52PM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> So, while Blender isn't as nice as Maya (I'm taking that on faith since I
> haven't used Maya), it more or less takes the same advantage of that hardware
> as Maya would (well, maybe it isn't as efficient with threads, I have no
> idea).  Only a really crappy programming would use OpenGL completely for final
> output at this point in time.

ok, so even if i get this Onyx outfitted with three RE2 pipes, if i want to do
final rendering to file i'd be better off doing it on the Challenge which has
3x as many CPUs?

> OpenDX is very high end visualization software from IBM, available under the
> GPL.  This is the stuff used to make sense of the gigs of data pumped out by
> things like finite element analysis (used for weather and crash testing),
> geo-seismic exploration, etc.

hmmm, that sounds interesting.  i'll definitely be checking that one out.

-brian

--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)