[rescue] Maya Personal Edition/Mac available

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Feb 25 17:01:11 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 05:43:53PM -0500, George Adkins wrote:

> This is a real disappointment.
> No Irix version.

Nobody ever makes the demo versions for Irix.  Well, almost no one.

> I finally get my Onyx up anr running the way I want it, (4xR4400/200, 512MB,
> 40G Clariion, RE2 w/ 4RM's) in anticipation of this and the bastards don't
> release an Irix version.  And of course, nothing else out there will make use
> of the RE2.  What a waste this exercise this has been. <shakes head>

It wasn't a waste of excersise.  You now have additional muscle, and a working
Onyx.  You could try Blender on it.  You could put OpenDX on it.  You could
aquire a license (free, just need to do paper work and have the capacity to
download and store 50 gigs or so of data) for the Visible Human Project and
play with that.  You could look for stuff to do with it on
http://www.vis-sim.org/  You could loan it to a local college to do research
eon.  Surely one can find reasonably inteligent research oriented college
students down there.

> Anybody wanna buy an Onyx?

Sigh.  Shakes head.  People had better be still selling a lot of these things
by the time I have enough desposable income to buy one.

--
Joshua D. Boyd