[rescue] FDDI card

ssandau at bath.tmac.com ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Mon Feb 25 06:47:19 CST 2002

> > > actually, if someone thinks that GUI consoles are the best way to deal with
> > > SERVERS then it's obvious that not only are they not accustomed to serial
> > > consoles, they don't know any better.  GUI consoles are LUDICROUS.
> >
> > why?
>
> because it's unnessesary complexity for a simple task.  you need keyboards
> and monitors, or at the very least a KVM setup.  three wires for each box,
> one for video, one for mouse and one for keyboard.  you should see the racks
> of 1U IBM machines we have here at work, you can barely see the backs of the
> machines for all the friggin wires.  with a serial console one very skinny wire
> is more than enough.

Personally, I would raather use a server's resources for "serving" which
is what it does all the time, rather than to attach a mouse to system
administration which is only a sometimes thing anyway. No point in
having my email server use memory all the time for a GUI that's only
used once in a while to accomplish a task that's just as easy from a
console...

Steve