[rescue] FDDI card

Drew Whittle drew at lug.net.nz
Mon Feb 25 04:07:22 CST 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 22:42, Kenneth Dunn wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:
>
> > > If you're not accustomed to serial consoles then it is a non-issue.
> >
> > actually, if someone thinks that GUI consoles are the best way to deal with
> > SERVERS then it's obvious that not only are they not accustomed to serial
> > consoles, they don't know any better.  GUI consoles are LUDICROUS.
>
> I agree. Though not necessary to the point of it needing to
> serial. Plain character totally.

No insult intended but you remind me of my boss.

Our Server room: 10 x servers, 1 x 4 port KVM.

Me: "I want a terminal server for the servers"

Boss: "I'll get another KVM"

Me: "No I _WANT_ a terminal server"

Boss: <puzzled look>

Me: "Don't worry I'll sort it out and then you'll see why"

Me: Posts to local LUG list seeking Terminal Server, walks down the road
1/2 hour later, puts $100 bucks in the guys hand, walks out with
Terminal Server, goes back to office, sets it up.

Boss: "Whats that?"

Me: A terminal server, watch this, telnets to terminal server (no ssh
<sigh>) connects to S1, main server console, connects to S2, main DB
server. Looks at boss and see's that someone has turned the dimmer up
and the light in his head goes on.

Boss: "You can remotely manage the servers!" (He knows machines can be
fixed from the console) "How many of our servers are on that thing?"

Me: "ALL of them"

Boss: "Great, so next time the DB server crashes at 3am you'll be able
to fix it from home!"

Me: "Errr, Yup" (as someone turns my dimmer up and the light goes on in
my brain...no attend the office, no 4 hours minimum pay for fixing it -
Damn I'm too smart for my own good.)

:D

(In case ya'll don't call them dimmers, I mean the little switch to set
the brightness of the lights in your house)