[rescue] Fry's

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Feb 25 03:21:52 CST 2002

On February 25, Kenneth Dunn wrote:
> > But Kenneth, PCs are intended for running Windows.
>
> The ones I have are running Linux, even have one for Solaris 8.
> The two PeeCees I've purchased in the last year didn't come with
> operating system, so can you really say they where intended for
> anything inparticular ?

  Well, don't half the PeeCees floating around say "designed for
microsoft windows" on the front? ;)

  But anyway, yes, PeeCees were designed with certain applications in
mind...both at the architectural level (some nastier parts of which
persist to this day because of bad design decisions twenty years ago)
and at the current implementation level.

> That said the original i386 CPU was intended for Unix like
> operating systems - was it not ?

  Do you have some references to back this up?  I remember when the
80386 was announced, and I don't recall any mention of anything of the
sort.

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire