[rescue] FDDI card

josh at marmot.cheetahfox.com josh at marmot.cheetahfox.com
Sat Feb 23 15:46:50 CST 2002

Which DEC Tulip cards are you talking about?  To qualify what I am about
to say, I haven't tested the newer Tulip cards.  But, all of the tulip
cards I have ever tested maxed out at about 70Mps.  I saw this with cards
and devices that were based on the tulip chips (switches).  This might
have been fixed in newer cards... but not as far I know.  My biggest
problems with 3com cards is how they handle collisions.  The ethernet spec
defines a minimum time to wait before retransmitting after the card
detects a collision.  Most 3com cards will begin transmitting well before this
timeout period.  This isn't a bad thing when you only have one 3com card
on your network.  But this can be a hugh problem when every machine on
your network has a 3com card.  Of course this isn't much of a problem when
you only have switches... :)  I tend to use the newer Intel EEpro cards.
I have never had any problems with them.

		Josh Snyder