[rescue] Another Solaris question

Andrew Sydelko andrew at sydelko.org
Sat Feb 23 20:30:25 CST 2002

On Saturday 23 February 2002 21:10, you wrote:
> I'm reading some of the Solaris8 Manuals on docs.sun.com.
>
> The System Administration Guide, Volume 1 says under How to Load a CD:
> Insert the CD. Shortly after the light stops flashing (about five to ten
> seconds), the CD is mounted to /cdrom. To verify that the CD is mounted,
> perform the task  How to Examine the Contents of a CD .
>

> Well, there is no /cdrom.  Also, maybe this is my linux view showing, but
> there is no entry in /etc/vfstab.  How do I mount my CDs under Solaris 8?

Solaris uses a special Volume Management system. There should be a daemon
running called vold that checks for things like CD insertion. Once detected,
it should mount the CD under /cdrom/<cd name>. /cdrom/cdrom0 is always a
symlink to the CD currently mounted.

For floppies, a program called volcheck must be run to tell vold to check for
the insertion of a floppy.

The initscript for starting vold is /etc/init.d/volmgt.

--andy.