[rescue] Sun help please

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Fri Feb 22 05:13:59 CST 2002

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 12:11:09AM +1300, Kenneth Dunn wrote:
> Hi all. I picked up the Sun today. I thought I was going to pick up a
> pizza box, what I got was a Sun built into a monitor. It is apparently
> a Sparc 1, no keyboard or instructions.

what you have is a sparc SLC.  not bad for an all in one.

> At the back of the monitor are what appears to be an AUI port, a high
> density 50 pin SCSI port, a (serial?) port marked "A/B", Sun sound
> and keyboard ports.

sounds right.

> It powers up, after 30s or so the CRT displays the following message:
>
> 	No keyboard.  Using input device ttya.
> 	Using output device ttya.
>
> I've not tried connecting it to one of my PCs with a null modem cable
> because I'm assuming that what appears to be a serial port on the
> Sun requires a Y-splitter cable. If so where can I find out how to make
> one ?

you only need to Y-splitter if you want to use serial port B.  serial A is
available as normal.  connect a null-modem to it, and you should be set.

> I've not found anything on the Sun website, and Sun in Auckland,NZ
> is closed for the weekend. Any information on this computer very

http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/sunref1.html

best resource for suns out there. :)

-brian

--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)