[rescue] NCDWare for 19r-series?

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Feb 22 03:01:50 CST 2002

[ On Friday, February 22, 2002 at 00:36:39 (-0600), Dan Debertin wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] NCDWare for 19r-series?
>
> Thanks for your help; I have it mostly set up, though it's acting
> rather weird in general. According to tcpdump, it's definitely talking
> to my fontserver, but the fonts still look like hell (CDE, Solaris
> 2.5.1). I'm still monkeying with it, though. It'd be nice to have a
> manual...

What's the resolution of the screen and the dimensions?  (The screen
invoked from the "statistics" -> "show version" menu on the
console/setup window will hopefully tell you those values.)

Maybe you need to put 100dpi fonts first in your font server config (I
did for the 19c and HMX which are both about 92dpi actual)

You'll also have to get it to boot and use the font server right off the
bat -- i.e. before any X apps open any windows, including even the
XDMCMP Chooser, since any of the wrong built-in fonts used by X11 apps
seem to get stuck in the map and never reloaded from xfs.  Doing that
means saving the config, editing it to taste and such, and getting it to
load on boot from your server.  Any red flash of the screen indicates an
error during boot and you should open the console window and try to
debug it.  Some errors aren't fatal, but some will stop it parsing the
remainder of the config file.....

> This thing has a really fuzzy screen; I'm not sure if I'm really going
> to be able to stand using it. But it's fun to play with :).

During the past few weeks while I've been suffing from an oft repeating
Xserver crash on my sparcstation I've been forced to use this HMX with
Samsung SyncMaster 6c monitor, and I really really really hate it.  It's
1280x1024 at 92dpi, but I just hate these stupid fuzzy color "pixels".
I can't work for more than two hours or so without taking a break (or
getting a headache), and that's with regularly looking out the window
and focusing on the trees and the street and such every 10 or fifteen
minutes!  I really Really REALLY want to use my 1600x1200 100dpi
monochrome screen again!

--
								Greg A. Woods