[rescue] S-bus FDDI cards and NetBSD drivers, again.....

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Feb 18 21:43:10 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 08:12:57PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> I've offered to work on a driver (initially for NetBSD) if someone ships
> me a card I can keep (and preferrably with the right cables to plug it
> into my FDDI-ready DECswitch 900EF)....  :-)
>
> Just "finger woods at most.weird.com" for my mailing address!  ;-)
>
> Of course I'll need to find hardware docs for said card (and its chip if
> there's not already a compatible low-level chip driver), and having a
> CDDI media converter would be nice too as I've got some PCI CDDI cards
> that should also interface (and which already have NetBSD drivers).

I have a Crescendo FDDI sbus card here.  It has a fiber interface, but
I don't know which connector it is.

I'd be happy to loan it out.  I'm pretty sure that it is a smart card though
(at least, it has a chip labeled mc68340fe16b, which appears to be an
embedded version of the 68010), so a driver for this card won't help me if
I gave it away since I suspect that like the DEC cards, the driver wouldn't
result in an implementation of SMT for the NetBSD kernel (if I thought it
would result in an SMT implementation, I'd be happy to give the card away
and just buy a new card once SMT is in NetBSD.

Now, I see on ebay
(http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2003835942) a pair
of cards that appear to have the same chips, but they are cddi cards.  Anyone
want to contribute to buying them?  Maybe I'll just buy them, although I don't
have a single piece of CDDI gear...  We could start a pool...  Loan the cards
to people.  Whoever gets the first driver keeps the card, the other returns
it to someone else...

Just some thoughts...  People who know more can feel free to try to influence
me.

--
Joshua D. Boyd