[rescue] FDDI questions

jwbirdsa at picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.com
Mon Feb 18 20:51:20 CST 2002

   Kudos to James Sharp for providing a wonderful summary of what you can
attach to what with FDDI. I have enshrined it on a piece of paper which
will live in my configuration notebook. I feel like I have a much better
idea of what I'm doing now, as opposed to just throwing it together and
hoping it works.

   SC-SC cables seem pretty common on dealer sites. There's even a few
on Ebay right now. No MIC-SC, and most dealers that I was able to find
don't carry them either, or they want $60 plus $ per meter, or $80 for a
five-meter cable, or $110 for a three-meter cable. I was feeling pretty good
about getting ten meters for $40, comparatively. :)

   --James B.

P.S. By the way, if anybody is looking for IBM SSA disk cabinets, Minntek
Solutions (www.minntek.com) has a bunch of 7133-020's filled with 4.5G disks
(72G total in a cabinet) that they're looking to get rid of -- I ordered a
couple today to go with the 6216 SSA card that came in my 7012-390. Russ
Johnson in their San Antonio office was very helpful. No connection, and
of course I haven't received anything yet, but they seem to know what
they're doing -- checking to make sure I'll be able to use what they're
selling me has to be worth some customer service brownie points. :)