[rescue] Prestoserve NVRAM SIMMs

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Mon Feb 18 16:53:48 CST 2002

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 11:22:05AM -0600, Steven Hill wrote:

> I'd hate to cause a war here... but....

i'd love to be wrong, no war needed!

> Having used Prestoserve cards in NFS servers before, I thought the
> whole point of them was things could be written to the NVSIMM, acting
> as a cache so that it speeds up IO by not waiting for disk writes.
> (You write to the SIMM, the prestoserve software returns a message to
> the NFS server that data has been committed to non volatile storage...
> and then it gets sync'd to disk later.)

do you have proof that it was actually working?  that would be super excellent.
although very soon my sparc20 is no longer going to be the fileserver. :)

> The prestoserve software does work for Solaris 8, I got the package
> from a friend, and alas, no longer have it.

someone on the list has it, i don't rememebr who though.  let me look, i may
actually have it since i was thinking about getting some of these for the
sparc20s at one point.

> Or have I missed something?

who knows, maybe i did.

-brian
--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)