[rescue] Prestoserve NVRAM SIMMs

Steven Hill sjh at matrix.net
Sun Feb 17 11:22:05 CST 2002

> >    Since one of this machine's projected duties is being the NFS server for
> > diskless units, Prestoserve acceleration would be quite desirable. Is
> > Prestoserve still supported in Solaris 8? Where might I get the Prestoserve
> > software?
>
> yes, they should work with 8, HOWEVER, they are for the CLIENT machines, not
> the server machines.  they are a very early implementation of ram-only cachefs.
> they will do you no good in a server.  sorry!!

I'd hate to cause a war here... but....

Having used Prestoserve cards in NFS servers before, I thought the
whole point of them was things could be written to the NVSIMM, acting
as a cache so that it speeds up IO by not waiting for disk writes.
(You write to the SIMM, the prestoserve software returns a message to
the NFS server that data has been committed to non volatile storage...
and then it gets sync'd to disk later.)

The prestoserve software does work for Solaris 8, I got the package
from a friend, and alas, no longer have it.

Or have I missed something?

S.

--
Steven Hill