[rescue] threaded or linear reading? (appropriate subjects)

Adam Kropelin akropel1 at rochester.rr.com
Mon Feb 18 12:22:12 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 8:05 AM
Subject: Re: [rescue] threaded or linear reading? (appropriate subjects)

> > Pine, and I don't know how I would manage to read it all, if it was
> > displayed threaded?
> >
> > What do other people do?
>
> It's PINE all the way for me.  :)
>
> I just haven't found another mail client that I actually -like-,
> especially a threaded one.  Email just doesn't thread as nicely as news
> does, I guess.

Email threads pretty easily via mechanical means based on the Message-ID and
Reply-To headers. This of course assumes everybody uses the Reply feature in
their mail client and also is rather prone to mail client bugs like a recent elm
issue.

I've been working on a pet project which archives mailing lists using MySql and
presents them in a threaded form with searching over subject, author, and body
fields. Rescue has been one of my guinnea pig lists since it has moderately high
volume. The archive is at http://archive.kroptech.com.

Of course, such an archive isn't much good if you actually want to participate
in a discussion. But I find it very convenient for high-volume lists that (for
me anyway) are largely read-only.

--Adam