[rescue] Duping CDs in Solaris

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Feb 18 07:21:27 CST 2002

Howdy,

     I've gotten a bit nervous about using my -only- orignal IRIX media
kit for doing installations.  So, I'd like to make a backup set.  The
problem is that my only CDRs are in a Windows-based PC and a Sun Ultra 10.

     Making duplicates on the PC is easy.  CloneCD does the trick, and the
results are bootable and excellent.  However, my PC's at home, and I
normally go straight to bed when I get home, so I get (at most) one CD
burned overnight.

     Assuming that I want to make one copy, and don't mind waiting two
weeks, this is fine.  However, my fiancee just rescued a buttload of
Indigo2 workstations[1], tossed out by MIT.  No media kit was included, so
she'd like a copy.

     I don't want to wait 4 weeks for CDs. :)

     I'm guessing that I need to:
     1) Kill vold
     2) dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0 of=/export/home/jp/tmp.iso
     3) cdrecord -dev=0,2,0 /export/home/jp/tmp.iso

     Any mistakes/gotchas?  EFS CDs are partitioned strangely--will a
straight dd get everything I need?  The CDR on the Ultra is an old 2x IDE
job of unknown condition, FWIW.

Many thanks,

--Jonathan
[1] Falling down that path, after just knowing me less than 6 years.
    Tragic.