[rescue] SGI, MIPS, and IA-64

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at cats.ucsc.edu
Fri Feb 15 18:26:46 CST 2002

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Julius Sridhar wrote:

> Isn't that 8 instructions per core?

Yup...

> Cheap POWER?  That's what the PowerPC is for.  I'm sure that the
> enhancements in the POWER4 will make their way to the PowerPC soon.

Hum... I am waiting for the G5 :-) Theoretically POWER4 was to trickle
down to the mainstream. The G5 will be 64bits, so I don't know if motorola
or IBM will be in charge of its implementation. I am guessing it will be
motorola.... but I dunno if they will use POWER4 elements or IBM's fab
technologies.