OT: Purdue/PSU, was [rescue] ss2 under load

Derrick D. Daugherty derrick at blinky-lights.org
Fri Feb 15 12:21:55 CST 2002

It's rumored that around Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 02:29:51AM -0500
Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 00:53, Derrick D. Daugherty wrote:
> > it's a great school if anyone on here is in HS and looking for a good
> > place.  however, if I knew what I know now and wanted a CS degree and
> > were interested in security, i'd go to umich, purdue, cmu, or ideally,
> > mit.
>
> odd. i'm at purdue, and well...  personally, i feel cheated in my
> education.  I came here to learn.  it took me a year to figure out i was

look into their CERIAS program...a friend of mine admins a lot of the
unix shit there...they just got a 6500 and i think some a5k's and i've
been helping him get that stuff up and running.   from what i've heard
from him he's never even touched a windows box since he's been there.

> at the wrong place.  In my experience, college teaches you how to do
> what you're told without question, how to be subordinate.  I'm in the

precisely one of hte reasons i had no qualms about leaving.  i'm glad to
see others came to the same conclusion.  college teaches you how to work
for other people, how to jump through hoops.  i don't want to be a show
poodle.

gene spafford is still a prof there isn't he?  he has a good degree of
clue.

CERIAS is what used to be COAST....another good friend of mine worked in
that program and he's extremely clueful.  he cracks systems for a
living, and a damn good one.

But true, they don't teach the shit that I want to know, or atleast they
didn't use to, that may have changed.  I think that's why unix geeks are
pretty highly sought after.