OT: Purdue/PSU, was [rescue] ss2 under load

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Feb 15 10:57:09 CST 2002

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Kevin Loch wrote:

> Each school has it's own platform bigotry.  It sometimes has alot to do
> with
> which company supports the school.  Radford was as SUN school when I was
> there.

The University of Delaware is an extreme Sun school.  When I started there
they had more Suns than PC's.  You could get a 50-60% hardware discount or
so.  I could have had an Ultra 1 170E Creator 3D for $6K when they were
selling retail at $12K or more.  They have macs for the art department,
and also had Gateway PC's for the general labs + NCD X-terms.  All the
math labs and physics labs had Sun equipment.  The SGI's were in the Chem
department, and the IBM's were in the Chemical Engineering department.  I
forget where the Cray was.

Andrew J. Weiss