[rescue] Grrr.... GTK+

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Fri Feb 15 10:25:48 CST 2002

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but is GTK+ just incredibly
stupid, or am I missing something?

I was figuring I might do some playing with GNU Smalltalk, and it mentioned
it CAN be compiled against GTK+... I figured, "why not?".

Here's what I get when ./configure bombs out:

checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.8... no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong
*** version of GLIB. If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
***
*** If you have a RedHat 5.0 system, you should remove the GTK package that
*** came with the system with the command
***
***    rpm --erase --nodeps gtk gtk-devel
configure: error:
*** GLIB 1.2.8 or better is required. The latest version of GLIB
*** is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

--

Now...  glib is already installed, in the right place.  Should I REALLY
have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get a stupid test program to RUN?!?

--Kurt