[rescue] Sendmail.cf - stripping X-headers

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri Feb 15 09:44:50 CST 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 23:02:19 -0600 didst "Derrick D. Daugherty"
<derrick at blinky-lights.org> declaim ...

> Hmmm.  never encountered this.  off the top of my head, no, I don't see
> anything easy on this.  your MTA generally just appends to
> headers..doesn't really muck with them unless you're masq'ing.  I don't
> think this functionality exists without doing the hack macro.
>
> w/o knowing what your overall goal is i can't suggest alternatives..but
> i'd instinctively say do it at your MUA not the MTA.  sendmail is just
> to send and receive, if ya wanna handle the X-bleh stuff let your
> delivery agent or MUA do the proper things.

I was afraid that would be the answer.

Well, the MUA is Outlook Express, so ... No, OE isn't my choice, but it's
Company Policy.

My goal is to disguise the fact that I'm using OE when I generate synthetic
and insulting spam bounce messages from MAILER-DAEMON.  I'd like the bounce
messages to look more authentic.

More information ... the incoming mailserver is the Company's, and the BOFH
in charge doesn't give a rat sandwich if I'm being deluged with Chinese
spam.  OE's "body content" rules don't seem to be applied to the contents of
HTML commands or subject lines in Big5.  I'm outside the Company's firewall
but attach my laptop to the Company's network with PPTP.  I have an
alternative outgoing mailserver (outside the Company network) which I've
tricked up to look like one of the Company's machines, and I'm using that to
send the bounce messages.  It seems to be working, in that I'm getting
slightly less Chinese spam each week.  At the current rate of decrease, it
will only take 2E23 more months to stop the spam entirely.

Thanks.

-Shel
--
Sheldon T. Hall