OT: Purdue/PSU, was [rescue] ss2 under load

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Fri Feb 15 01:29:51 CST 2002

On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 00:53, Derrick D. Daugherty wrote:
> it's a great school if anyone on here is in HS and looking for a good
> place.  however, if I knew what I know now and wanted a CS degree and
> were interested in security, i'd go to umich, purdue, cmu, or ideally,
> mit.

odd. i'm at purdue, and well...  personally, i feel cheated in my
education.  I came here to learn.  it took me a year to figure out i was
at the wrong place.  In my experience, college teaches you how to do
what you're told without question, how to be subordinate.  I'm in the
computer technology program, and all they teach is microsoft crap.
Seriously, i correct my professors in my classes when they lecture about
UNIX stuff (not all the time, mind you, but there's a class that i'm in
now that i feel the need to correct the professor every single lecture,
and not because i'm being a smartass, but because they don't know what
they're talking about).  I've had now TWO classes that even mention
anything other than microsoft, and i'm a senior.  Personally, i've taken
the matter into my own hands and have been learning things by doing.  In
labs, people constantly look to me because i'm the one who knows how to
get things done.  I have a horrible GPA because i don't care about my
classes, all i care about is finishing some classes so i can get a
degree and have something to show for all this wasted time.  The CS
department may be different, but i don't want to be a programmer, i want
to be an admin.  (and from what i see in my CS friends, it ain't that
great there either)  I'm truly amazed at the idiots who get degrees.
It's almost as is the goal is to make you lose so much respect for the
degree that by the time you get it you consider it worthless.  And the
students here are told that they're the total shit, and have ridiculous
egos that match those of the professors.

oh. ahem...  sorry about that....   spontaneous rant.  I could add a
whole lot to that if anyone cares to listen, but i imagine that this is
something that's been this way forever, and will always continue to be
this way.

	-Dan Sikorski